AGES 4 - 8
1. Francisco Marto was a typical little boy who loved the little animals of the fields and he was very good at playing the flute. He was 9 years old when Our Lady came to visit Fatima. He was not able to see Our Lady like Jacinta and Lucia were, but he could hear everything she said. Our Lady said he would go to Heaven, but there was something he had to first. What was it that Francisco had to do?
2. Francisco loved to spend many hours praying behind the altar at the foot of the tabernacle where the priests keep Jesus in the Holy Eucharist. The three shepherd children loved Jesus very much in Holy Communion. What did they call the Eucharist?
3. Francisco became very sick and suffered a great deal. Our Lady came to take him to Heaven in April of 1919 when he was just 11 years old. Francisco offered God all his suffering and prayers for a very special intention. What was this intention?
4. Jacinta Marto was Francisco's little sister and she was only 7 years old when Our Lady visited Fatima. Jacinta loved to dance whenever Francisco played the flute. She also loved Jesus the Good Shepherd. What did Jacinta do to imitate Jesus the Good Shepherd?
5. Just like her brother Jacinta also became very sick and suffered very much. Our Lady came to take her to Heaven in February of 1920 when she was 10 years old. She offered God all her suffering and prayers for a very great intention. What was her intention?
6. Jacinta and Francisco were very holy children and Our Lady told them they would go to Heaven. People who go to Heaven are called Saints. Sometimes Father God tells us certain people are in Heaven by performing miracles through their prayers. It takes one miracle to become a "blessed" and another to become a "saint". Jacinta and Francisco were first "blessed". The Holy Father has just approved a second miracle for Jacinta and Francisco. On May 13th 2017 Pope Francis visited Fatima to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Our Lady's appearance there. What did he do when he went to Fatima?
AGES 9 - 13
1. We looked at the third secret of Fatima during the last set of questions and we saw the angel with the flaming sword calling for penance. As the vision continues, the children saw a "bishop dressed in white" climbing up a steep mountain with a huge cross at the top. As he climbed he prayed for the souls of those who were killed as they were climbing the mountain. When the bishop reached the top he was shot by soldiers and killed. Who did Pope St. John Paul II believe was the "bishop dressed in white"?
2. And who did he think were the people who died climbing the mountain?
3. At the time of Our Lady's apparitions at Fatima, Portugal was ruled by Freemasons who do not believe in God and who hated the Catholic Church. The mayor of the district of Fatima was also a Freemason. He devised a plan to prove the children were lying about Our Lady's apparitions. What did he do on the 13th of August just as the children were going to meet Our Lady?
4. The mayor tried everything he could think of to make them say they were lying: he spent many hours questioning them and bullying them. He put them in jail and when he released them from the prison he threatened to kill them. How did he say they would die? After all this terror how did the children respond?
5. On October 13th Our Lady visited Fatima for the final time. During this apparition she performed the great miracle she promised to the children to help us believe in her appearances. While the crowd of 70,000 people witnessed the Miracle of the Sun the children saw visions of Our Lord, Our Lady and St. Joseph who gave their blessings to the world. What happened during the Miracle of the Sun?
6. Lucia saw a vision that was just for her alone. She saw Our Lady of Mount Carmel which was a prophecy as one day Lucia would become a Carmelite Nun. To which saint did Our Lady of Mount Carmel first appear and what did she give to the saint that became part of the Carmelite habit?
AGES 14 - 18
1. The third and final secret of Fatima is a second vision the children were given during the July 13th apparition. This vision was written down by Sister Lucia in 1944 and given in a sealed envelope to her bishop. The first part of the vision shows a mighty angel with a flaming sword threatening the earth with chastisement and calling out "Penance. Penance. Penance." But the flames are extinguished by the intercession of the Blessed Mother. What does the angel mean by "Penance"?
2. The second part of the vision as is follows: We saw a Bishop dressed in White 'we had the impression that it was the Holy Father'. Other Bishops, Priests, men and women Religious going up a steep mountain, at the top of which there was a big Cross of rough-hewn trunks as of a cork-tree with the bark; before reaching there the Holy Father passed through a big city half in ruins and half trembling with halting step, afflicted with pain and sorrow, he prayed for the souls of the corpses he met on his way; having reached the top of the mountain, on his knees at the foot of the big Cross he was killed by a group of soldiers who fired bullets and arrows at him, and in the same way there died one after another the other Bishops, Priests, men and women Religious, and various lay people of different ranks and positions. Beneath the two arms of the Cross there were two Angels each with a crystal aspersorium in his hand, in which they gathered up the blood of the Martyrs and with it sprinkled the souls that were making their way to God. Pope St. John Paul II requested the envelope in 1981 while he was in the hospital. What event made him desire to read the 3rd Fatima secret and when did it occur?
3. St. John Paul saw himself as the "bishop dressed in white" and he saw all those who died as they were climbing the mountain as what group of people?
4. The October 13th apparition is by far the most famous as this is when the Miracle of the Sun occurred witnessed by 70,000 people of every walk of life including the press and members of the secular government. While the vast crowd was watching the sun dance and spin in the sky the 3 children witnessed a miracle all their own. The Blessed Mother presented them living pictures of herself, St Joseph and Jesus. The first picture depicts the Holy Family: Mary is with St Joseph who is holding the Child Jesus and they are making the sign of the cross over the world. Mary is dressed in blue and white as Our Lady of the Rosary. What Mysteries of the Rosary does this tableau suggest?
5. In the next scene Christ appears at the base of the sun cloaked in red and with Him is Our Lady dressed in the purple gown of Dolours. What Mysteries of the Rosary is suggested here?
6. Finally Our Lady appears in the brown robes of the Carmelite Order; Our Lady of Mount Carmel, crowned Queen of Heaven and Earth. Shown to Lucia alone who would later become a Carmelite Nun. This picture is representative of which Mysteries of the Rosary?
AGES 4 - 8
1. All the time Our Lady was visiting the children they really weren't sure exactly who she was. They called her "the Beautiful Lady from Heaven". During Our Lady's last visit Lucia asked her "won't you tell us who you are?" What did the Lady answer?
2. On Our Lady's final visit to the children at Fatima she kept the promise she made to Lucia to work a great miracle to help the people believe. What was the date of Our Lady's last visit and the great miracle?
3. The Blessed Mother made the sun spin like a huge top! As the sun turned round it radiated beautiful colors of every sort like a sparkler on the 4th of July. Then the sun began to move back and forth across the sky like a great pendulum. What do we call this great miracle today?
4. What work of art in our church shows what happened to the sun on that day?
5. There were many thousands of people at Fatima that day to see the great miracle Our Lady promised to perform. While the huge crowd of people was watching the sun, the three children, Lucia, Francisco and Jacinta saw something very special just for them! What did they see?
6. Jesus' Mother, the Virgin Mary is Our Lady of the Rosary and she asks us to pray the Rosary every day to bring peace to the world. While we pray the Rosary we are to think about all the things Jesus and Mary did while they were here with us on earth. These are called the Mysteries of the Rosary. What are 2 of these Mysteries?
AGES 9 - 13
1. The "3 Secrets of Fatima" were told the children by Our Lady during the July apparition. The first secret is a vision she showed the children of hell. She wants us to know that hell is real and that sadly many people go there. Our Lady makes it very clear that peace in the world is directly tied to the conversion of sinners. This is why it is so important that we pray and offer sacrifices for the conversion of sinners. What chastisement did she say was the result of sin?
2. The second secret is has two parts. In the first part, Our Lady told them would prevent another war (the 2nd World War) and prevent the spread of Russian errors. In 1925 she appeared to Sister Lucia with the Christ Child to ask for the spread of what devotion?
If this devotion could prevent a war in the past, it is logical to assume that it could also prevent wars in the future. So it is important that we practice this devotion today. To celebrate the 100th Anniversary of Our Lady's appearance at Fatima, Fr. Henri has re-instituted this most important devotion in our parish. Please bring your family and friends and join us!
3. The second part of the second secret is that Our Lady would come again to ask for the Holy Father in union with all the bishops of the world to make a consecration to Our Lady's Immaculate Heart in order to prevent Russia "from spreading her errors". She appeared to Sister Lucia in 1929 as she promised. What did Our Lady say would be the fruit of the consecration?
4. What were the errors that Our Lord and Lady were so concerned about?
5. The consecration to Our Lady's Immaculate Heart was not done until 1984. The Holy Father lived under Russian rule and was therefore well aware of the dangers to humanity of "Russian errors". Who was this Holy Father?
6. The third secret of Fatima was another vision that Our Lady gave to Lucia, Jacinta and Francisco during the July apparition. The beginning of the vision shows an angel with a flaming sword threatening the earth with chastisement and calling out "Penance. Penance. Penance." But the flames are extinguished by what occurrence?
AGES 14 - 18
1. As we saw in the last set of questions Our Lord and Our Lady were very concerned about the spread of Russian errors throughout the world and gave us two ways to prevent that spread: the 5 First Saturday Devotion and the consecration of Russia to Our Lady's Immaculate Heart. It is significant to note that the Bolshevik Revolution began in October of 1917 during the time when Our Lady was visiting Fatima. Name the philosophy and briefly define it to which Our Lord and Lady refer as "errors". Contemplate how these errors have affected your life.
2. Consistent with this dangerous philosophy, in 1920 Russia became the first country in the world to legalize what horrendous practice?
3. At Fatima Our Lady predicted "this war will end but if my requests are not heard and men do not amend their lives not much time will pass and another more terrible war will begin". What war was ongoing at the time of the Fatima apparitions, when did begin and end and finally what was the death toll?
4. Our Lady told the children that a great sign would appear in the night sky announcing the beginning of the next chastisement (War). The sign was great indeed. All over Europe a "crimson fire" filled the night sky causing people to call out the fire brigades in fear that something huge was burning. The world called it an aurora borealis, but Sister Lucia wrote that this was the sign that chastisement was near. When did it occur and what happened 3 months later setting into motion the next war?
5. What was the next war, when did it begin and end, what was the death toll and finally what is the significance of the ending date? The Lord God never leaves pain and tragedy as the final word. He always ends on a hope filled note. What was Our Lady's final prediction at Fatima? Do you think this has happened or are we still to look forward to it?
6. The Lord God never leaves pain and tragedy as the final word. He always ends on a hope filled note. What was Our Lady's final prediction at Fatima?
AGES 4 - 8
1. During Our Lady's visit in June she asked Lucia to do something very important so she would be able to help Our Lady during her whole life time. What was this very important thing that Lucia was supposed to do?
2. The 3 little shepherds were still so sad that people didn't believe in the visits of the Lady from Heaven. So in July Lucia asked a big favor of Our Lady so that people would know that she really did come to visit them. What was this big favor?
3. What did Our Lady tell the children?
4. Everyone would like to go to Heaven when our life on earth is over, but sadly many people don't love God or obey Him and so they can't go to Heaven. In July Our Lady showed the 3 children where people go when they die if they don't love God. What did Our Lady show them?
5. God and Our Lady love us very much even if we don't always love them back. So Our Lady told the children something they could do to help sinners go to Heaven. On a certain day each month if we go to Mass, say the Rosary and think about the lives of Jesus and Mary for a little while we can help ourselves and other people go to Heaven. What is this practice called?
6. Many people who did not believe in God or the Blessed Virgin Mary were very angry that the shepherd children were visited by Our Lady. So in August before Our Lady came to visit them, the children were arrested and taken away from their families for 3 whole days! These people tried many ways to frighten the shepherds and to make them say they lied about Our Lady's visits to them. But the children were so very brave. They would not tell a lie. Even when they were told they would be boiled in oil if they wouldn't give in. What did Lucia tell the people who arrested them?
AGES 9 - 13
1. Lucia, Jacinta and Francisco were very serious about their promise to pray and offer sacrifices for the conversion of sinners and to make reparation to God for sins committed. Sacrifices are things we enjoy or want that we offer to God for love of him. Name 2 sacrifices offered by the three shepherd children.
2. Our Lady asked us to offer our sufferings to God for the conversion of sinners and in reparation to God for sins committed. Sufferings come to everyone at times in their lives. We do not choose to suffer as we choose tooffer sacrifices. Francisco and Jacinta suffered greatly from the flu which took their young lives in 1919 and 1920 respectively. Lucia however lived to be 97 years old. Some of her sufferings included the loneliness she felt after her two cousins died. Name one other suffering she experienced.
3. During the July 13th apparition, Our Lady taught the children a new prayer that was to be added to the end of each decade of the Rosary known as the Rosary or Decade Prayer. What are the words to this prayer?
4. On July 13th Our Lady told the children "this war will end". To which war was Our Lady referring?
5. But, she said, "If people do not cease offending God a worse war will break out". Which war was Our Lady warning us about?
6. The Blessed Mother told the children that God would give a warning sign before the start of the next war. What was that sign and when did it occur?
AGES 14 - 18
The apparition of July 13th is the most important of the 6 apparitions. It contains the secrets of Fatima, Our Lady's predictions for the future and her call to us to amend our lives.
1. The first of the secrets is the vision of hell given to the children. This vision is the reason Our Lady came to earth; she came to lead us away from this horrific vision back to the Beatific Vision. What is the Beatific Vision?
2. Our Lady told the children we must amend our lives and confess our sins so we can save our own souls, but in perfect charity we must also offer prayers and sacrifices for the souls of others. Why did Our Lady say this was important?
3. At Fatima the Blessed Virgin makes it very clear that peace in the world is directly tied to the conversion of sinners and what chastisement did she say was the result of sin?
4. The first part of the second secret of Fatima is Our Lady's request for the "Communion of Reparation" or the 5 First Saturday Devotion. She told the children she would come sometime in the future to request it and that if practiced this devotion would prevent another world war and prevent the spread of Russian errors throughout the world. In 1925 Our Lady and the Christ Child appeared to Sister Lucia in her convent to explain the devotion and to request the spread of it throughout the world. One first Saturday is to be offered for each of the 5 blasphemies against the Virgin Mary. What are those blasphemies?
5. Our Lady of Fatima has the celebration of the 5 First Saturdays. It can be celebrated every first Saturday of the year. Of what does this devotion consist?
6. The second part of the second Fatima secret is Our Lady's request for the Pope in union with all the bishops of the world to consecrate Russia to Our Lady's Immaculate Heart. As with the First Saturday devotion, this consecration was intended to convert Russia and prevent the spread of Communist errors throughout the world. Our Lady came to Sister Lucia in 1929 to ask for this to be done. However the consecration was not done for many years. Jesus told Sister Lucia that it would be done, but it would be too late, that Russia would already have spread her errors throughout the world. When was the consecration successfully completed and by which Pope?
Ages 4 - 8
1. On the day the Blessed Mother first appeared there was a big flash of light. The children thought it was going to rain but instead a beautiful lady appeared. She was dressed all in white and she was so bright she seemed to be dressed in light! She wore a long necklace with ball of light at the bottom and there was a bright star on the bottom of her dress. What did she hold in her hands?
2. The Blessed Mother knew that such a brilliant spectacle would probably frighten the 3 little shepherds. What was the first thing Our Lady said to them?
3. Lucia asked the beautiful Lady "where do you come from"? What did Our Lady tell her?
4. The Blessed Mother asked the children to pray and offer sacrifices for poor sinners so they would stop disobeying God and be able to go to Heaven. A good prayer to pray would be the Hail Mary. Do you know the words to the Hail Mary? What sacrifices would you make to save poor sinners?
5. The visits by the Blessed Mother made the children very happy! But many of the people in the village didn't believe the children were telling the truth and they made of fun of them. This made them very sad. Jesus suffered on the Cross so we could go to Heaven. Do you think that when we are sad or sick or people make fun of us Jesus would be happy to use our suffering to help people go to Heaven?
Ages 9 - 13
1. On May 13th at about noon the children were in the fields pasturing their sheep when they saw a brilliant flash of light. Thinking it was going to rain they began to pack up their things to return home. After another flash they saw "a beautiful lady from Heaven" standing above a holm oak. She appeared to be about 17 years old dressed in white and surrounded by light. The first words Our Lady spoke are said many times in the Bible. What were those words?
2. Lucia asked the Lady what she wanted of them. What did the Lady say?
3. At the time of the first apparition the children did not know that the "beautiful lady from Heaven" was the Blessed Mother. When did they find out who she really was?
4. What title did the Blessed Mother use to tell the children who she was?
5. There was one thing in particular the Blessed Mother asked us to do each time she came to see the children. What was this one thing?
6. Our Lady asked the children if they would be willing to accept any sufferings that God might send them and to pray and offer sacrifices. The children immediately answered they would be willing to do these things. Why did Our Lady say it was necessary for them, and us, to accept sufferings, to pray and offer sacrifices?
Ages 14 - 18
1. Our Blessed Lady first appeared to the 3 children on May 13, 1917 at about noon. It was easy to speak to her and Lucia asked many questions about Heaven and if they would go there and finally about some friends who had died recently. Our Lady told Lucia that one of them, Amelia, a young woman of about 18 or 20 years would be in Purgatory until the end of time. What is Purgatory?
2. The central point of the May apparition occurs when Our Lady asks the children if they would be willing to accept any sufferings that God might choose to send them for reparation for sin and for the conversion of souls. God will never force us to accept His missions for us. He wants us to accept of our free and loving will. The Blessed Virgin knows this better than anyone as exemplified by what experience in her life?
3. By the time Our Lady appeared for the second time on June 13th the children's sufferings had already begun. They suffered because of the unbelief in their families, especially Lucia whose mother became irate at her "lying" about the visit of the beautiful lady from heaven. Likewise the people of their village shunned them due to their unbelief. They had also advanced along the road of "heroic virtue". What is "heroic virtue"?
4. What was the one thing Our Lady asked us to do at each of the six apparitions at Fatima and what did she say would be the fruit of this action?
5. At the time of the apparitions at Fatima, Portugal, like many of the countries in Europe had become a secularist state run mainly by the Freemasons who were fierce haters of the Church and the priesthood. On the morning of August 13th as the children were making their way to the Cova to see Our Lady they were taken by the administrator of the district. Convinced that the entire affair was a hoax perpetrated by the clergy for monetary gain, the administrator wanted the children to confess that they lied about the apparitions and to divulge the "secret" given to them on July 13th. He threatened them first with imprisonment and finally with death by boiling them in oil. The children responded that they were not lying, and could not tell the "secret", and if he chose to kill them they would go straight to Heaven so it didn't matter. Would you call this response on the part of the children a demonstration of "heroic virtue"? Why or why not?
6. Word of the events at Fatima had spread throughout Portugal and beyond its borders. On September 13th approximately 25,000 people crowded the tiny village and the Cova d'Iria making it nearly impossible for the children to make their way to see Our Lady. Lucia wrote in her memoirs:
"The roads were packed with people, and everyone wanted to see us and speak to us…Some climbed up to the tops of trees and walls to see us go by and shouted down to us...We managed to move forward, thanks to some gentlemen who went ahead and opened a passage for us through the multitude."
This experience had a powerful effect on her. To what biblical event did she compare it?
AGES 4 - 8
1. In 1917, exactly 100 years ago the Blessed Virgin Mary appeared to 3 little children in the fields outside their little village. What is the name of their little village?
2. The oldest child was 10 years old and her two cousins were 9 and 7 years old. What are their names?
3. These 3 little children had a very important job to do that they were given by their families. What was that important job?
4. The Blessed Virgin Mary visited with the children 6 times during the year of 1917. What was the date of her first visit?
5. The children had many questions to ask the Blessed Virgin. What would you ask her if she came to visit you?
6. Each time the Blessed Mother visited with the children she asked them to do something very important for peace in the world. What did she ask them to do?
AGES 9 - 13
1. In 1916, the year prior to the apparitions by the Blessed Mother the children received 3 visits from an angel of God. Who did he say he was?
2. The angel was sent by God to prepare the children for the tasks the Blessed Mother would give each of them to do. What were the three things he taught Lucia, Francisco and Jacinta that were important for them to do?
3. Why did he say these things were important?
4. The Angel was speaking to the shepherd children of Fatima, but his words are true for us as well. What did the Angel of Peace tell the children would be the end result of their (and our) obedience to these 3 requests?
5. What are "sacrifices"?
6. What does it mean to "suffer with patience"?
AGES 14 - 18
1. One year prior to the apparitions of Our Lady to the three shepherd children they were visited 3 times by the Angel of Peace, the Guardian Angel of Portugal sent by God the Father to prepare the children for the tasks Our Lady would assign to each of them. During the first visitation he taught them this prayer known as the Pardon Prayer:
My God I believe I adore I hope and I love you and I beg forgiveness for all those who do not believe do not adore do not hope and do not love you.
This prayer calls to mind the adoration due to God and the three Theological Virtues. What are the three theological virtues?
2. When the Angel came a second time the children were playing. When he arrived he reprimanded them saying, "What are you doing? Pray. Pray much!" He continued:
"Offer God a sacrifice of anything you can as an act of reparation for the sins with which He is offended and as a supplication for the conversion of sinners. Draw peace upon your country by doing this. Above all, accept and endure with submission whatever suffering the Lord sends you."
What is a sacrifice?
3. How does suffering differ from sacrifice?
4. In the fall of 1916 the Angel came for the final time. When he appeared to the children he held in his hand a chalice. Above the chalice, suspended in mid air was a host bleeding drops of blood into the chalice. He left the chalice and host suspended and prostrated himself before them. He prayed this prayer:
Most Holy Trinity, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, I adore Thee profoundly and offer Thee the most precious Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Jesus Christ, present in all the tabernacles of the earth, in reparation for the outrages, sacrileges, and indifferences with which He is offended. And through the infinite merits of His Most Sacred Heart and of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I beg Thee for the conversion of poor sinners.
Sacrileges refer to a lack of reverence for the Eucharistic presence of Our Lord. Failure to confess a mortal sin and failure to observe the fast before receiving Communion are some examples. "Indifferences" reveal a lukewarm heart. What are 3 examples of "indifferences"?
5. The Angel taught the children to make "reparation" to God. What is meant by "reparation?
6. What was the greatest act of reparation ever made?